Frequently Asked Questions & Store Policies
(click to expand)
Where are you located?
We are located at 5550 Johnston Drive, Johnston, IA. Just north I 80/35 off Merle Hay Road.
What is required prior to shooting on the range?
All participants are required to complete a registration, waiver of liability and acknowledgment of range rules prior to being assigned a lane. Speed up your check-in process filling out a waiver ahead of time.
Do I need to purchase Ammo and Targets from CrossRoads?
NO – you may bring in your own targets, ammo, etc, however, reloads are not allowed. We do offer a full selection of popular targets and affordable range loads for purchase at discounted prices.
Do I have to be a member?
No, we do not require participants to become members. CrossRoads is open to the public on a walk-in basis.
How do I become a member?
It is easy. Just stop into the store or browse online, complete the registration process and attend an orientation. Orientations are offered on an as-needed basis. You do not need an appointment. Members receive a variety of different benefits based on level and will be able to take advantage of various promotions and specials held throughout the year available to only members.
Click here for membership plans & options
How many lanes are in your indoor range?
CrossRoads has 17 lanes complete with modern shooting booths and automated target retrieval systems. There are 3 separate ranges with distances that are up to 25 yards.
How old do you need to be to shoot at CrossRoads?
- Under Iowa Law, children 17 and younger may shoot long guns or handguns (under 21) under parental or legal guardian supervision, or under the direct supervision of another authorized person with express consent from the parent or legal guardian in this waiver.
- Individuals 18 and older will be permitted to shoot a long gun alone.
What do I need to purchase a long gun?
To purchase a long gun in Iowa, you will need to be at least 18 years old. You will need government-issued picture identification to confirm identity and government-issued identification/documentation that confirms your current address. A valid driver’s license with your current address will satisfy both requirements.
What do I need to purchase a handgun?
To purchase a hand gun in Iowa, you will need to be at least 21 years old. You will need government-issued picture identification to confirm identity and government-issued identification/documentation that confirms your current address. A valid driver’s license with your current address will satisfy both requirements.
Where do I apply for an Iowa permit to acquire or an Iowa permit to carry?
To apply for either an Iowa Permit to Acquire or an Iowa Permit to Carry, you must go to the Sheriff’s website or office in the county which you reside. You will be required to fill out paperwork to facilitate a background check, show valid government identification to confirm your identity, and show proof of your current address.
Polk County shortcut here
I have a permit. Do I still need to fill out the paperwork to purchase a firearm?
Yes. All customers must complete a Form 4473 prior to purchasing any firearm. The Iowa Annual Permit to Acquire or the Iowa Annual Permit to Carry is an exemption from conducting an FBI NICS check but is not an exemption from completing a Form 4473.
Do you do FFL Transfers?
Yes, Please see the full policy and complete the simple online form here
Firearms – All Sales final, no exceptions.
Ammunition – All Sales final, no exceptions.
Clearance Items – All Sales final, no exceptions.
Accessories – Returns allowed within 14 days if:
- In original packaging, includes all original accessories, and only with the original sales receipt
- CrossRoads reserves the right to provide in-store credit or gift card for refund amount in lieu of a refund for purchases over $10
- Subject to 20% Restocking fee
- NFA (Suppressors – click here)
- Handgun/Long Gun
- A $35.00 fee per firearm will be assessed upon delivery to the customer.
- $15.00 for additional transfers on same purchase. (More than 1 gun at a time).
- Transfer only allowed to the person listed on the invoice of the delivered product. The customer must be of legal age, an Iowa resident with a valid Iowa driver’s license or identification card that shows their current address.
- You will be required to pass the required criminal background check before receiving your transfer, unless holding a valid permit.
- If you fail the criminal background check, you will be required to pay the shipping charges to return the firearm back to the original sender. No one else will be able to come in and pick the firearm up for you after a denial per ATF regulations.
- CrossRoads will contact you when your item has been processed and is ready for pickup.
- DO NOT rely on the shipping confirmation as notice of pickup
- Upon submission, we will make every attempt to contact the Seller within 24 hours to initiate the transfer.
- You will be notified via email when your purchase has arrived and been processed in.
- Received merchandise will be forfeited to the possession of CrossRoads if not transferred within 30 days unless written request is received prior to 30 days.
- Daily storage fee may be assessed at the sole discretion of CrossRoads
- Storage fees apply to NFA items, that are not picked up after 30 days of ATF approval
- Daily storage fee may be assessed at the sole discretion of CrossRoads
CrossRoads is happy to special order products not in stock; However most products are quickly found on our online retail site Gunpup.com. Please note the following conditions of special orders:
- Products that are unable to be ordered through Gunpup.com, must be pre-paid in full at time of order to includes shipping & admin fees.
- Failure to pickup special order within 30 days of notice of arrival may result in forfeiture, 20% restocking fee or penalties at the sole discretion of CrossRoads.
- Special Order Sales Are Final, Refunds will not be made.
- Clothing items are 100% non-refundable if special ordered.
Handwritten quotes slips are not special orders. All attempts will be made to locate products on these quotes slips, however quantity and availability not guaranteed.
The layaway plan is very simple to use. Upon receipt of your non-refundable 20% deposit (Cash, or credit card), we will secure your firearms(s) from our inventory and activate your 60-day Layaway Plan.
During the 60 Day Layaway period, you can either make several payments, or just make one final payment at the end of 60 days, at which time we will transfer your firearm(s) to you.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL A LAYAWAY BE HELD LONGER THAN 90 DAYS.
ALL LAYAWAY DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
If, after 90 days, we have not received payment in full, your Layaway Plan will automatically be canceled and any/all payments will NOT be refunded.
Items on a layaway cannot be changed once the 20% deposit has been received. If a layaway is cancelled prior to 60 days the 20% deposit, and all additional payments will NOT be refunded.
Layaways are for in-stock serialized items only, and in-stock accessories over $400.
* NFA ITEMS that are purchased from CrossRoads must be certified within 90 days from the date of purchase or initial deposit, or the deposit will be forfeited.
CrossRoads is happy to consign your firearm for sale to the local and national markets. We will use GunPup.com, GunsAmerica, & GunBroker for online national listings.
- Period – 90 days at a time
- Fees – 20% of sold price at sale
- Payment to You – choice of CrossRoads gift card, or company check
- Company Check payment will be made 7-10 business days after item has sold
Gift Cards are available for purchase in any amount, and may be used for any good or service in the store. Not available for redemption online. CrossRoads has these parameters in place per the consumer protection law:
- Gift Cards are allowed to be ‘expired’ by the issuing merchant after 60 months (5 years)
- A service fee of up to 20% may be assessed each year in Nov or Dec
- Have no Cash Value and are non-refundable
- Are not replaceable. Lost or stolen cards are not honored.
- Online (Gunpup.com) or In-store Gift card purchases must be picked up within 30 days, or subject to forfeiture.